At the start of last year I wrote out some objectives for the year. This is a bit late being February already, but now that it is 2013 it is time to review how they worked out over the year. So going through the list from that post:
- See some more of the world: I did see some more of the world. I did the east coast trip, and caught up with Teresa, Jordan and Kirsten. Unfortunately I did not manage to see Dave or Carlton, or various other people further away. It was enjoyable, I saw some new things (Niagara Falls, museums in DC, Boston…), met some new people, and had some fun dances. I went to Poland and Hungary, which ticks off the two more European countries. Though I think my intent with this was to take two trips, so I did not quite do that. I toured around Scotland for 9 days with my parents, which was excellent (apart from the rain), and we saw lots of beautiful scenery and castles. The only new place I went in the UK other than that was down to the Isle of Wight with some interns and other Googlers, which was pleasant enough.
- Visit the east coast of the US / Canada, and see at least 3 of the 5 friends I know over that way: 0.9
- Visit at least 2 more European countries: 0.8
- Visit Scotland: 1.0
- Visit 2 more places in the UK: 0.5
- Improve my dancing (and enjoy it): Dance-wise, I did a couple of workshops and a few classes in Balboa, but then did not keep it up or get practice much. I have not really done any in the last six months or so. I have done a fair bit of Lindy and blues though, including going to several weekend festivals (Blues Shakedown, Berlin Blues Explosion, Blues Baby Blues). I went to LSF again as well, though did not find it as good as 2011. I did a bit of Lindy in Wellington while I was back, and it made it along to one night of NZX up in Auckland as well. Getting friends along proved a bit more difficult. Oh, and I managed to find some Lindy or blues in Toronto, Krakow, and of course New York City when I was there (which were variable, but interesting nonetheless), plus a great contra in Princeton.
- Learn at least one new dance this year (probably Balboa): 0.3
- Go out for social swing (Lindy Hop) dancing regularly: 1.0
- Take some classes / workshops to improve my blues: 1.0
- Do some swing and/or blues with friends while I am back in NZ visiting: 0.8
- Go to the London Swing Festival again: 1.0
- Work out where I stand with God, and what that means: No progress on this one really.
- Discuss more with some friends. Not sure exactly what: 0.2
- Finish reading some of the books that are on my shelf, and write up some responses to them: 0.1
- Improve my social life, and build and maintain a good group of friends with whom I regularly do things: I had a people over for a barbecue for my birthday. I cannot remember what else, maybe that was all?
- Host at least 3 social gatherings (parties / dinners / whatever) at my flat: 0.3
- Any other ideas I come up with: 0.0
- Improve how I dress: I bought a suit to wear to Daniel and Sharon’s wedding, and have not worn it since. It felt awkward. Otherwise no improvements to my fashion sense or wardrobe.
- Buy a suit, or at least something a bit more formal, for the odd occasion when that might be necessary: 0.8
- Find other ways to improve in general: 0.0
- Maintain other hobbies: I did some baking, but do not think I made stuff for other people as often as once a month sadly. I did not do any work on theQuotebook, Fridge or anything else, nor any further electronics projects.
- Bake something for other people at least once a month, preferably more often: 0.4
- Do some work on my existing programming projects such as theQuotebook and Fridge: 0.0
- Do some work on electronics projects, such as the paper keyboard I started on last year, some kind of floor instrument, or something else based on the Teensy: 0.0
I have some ideas for this year as well (and have even started on one of them), but I will leave that for another post, and I think I will organise them differently.